Safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults
The Archdiocese of Southwark is committed to the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The Diocese co-operates fully with the Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Service (CSAS), which aims to help the Church become an example of best practice in the Safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults and develop a “culture of vigilance” to ensure that those in our care are kept safe from harm.
In addition, the Archdiocese has set up its own Safeguarding Team and, along with the Archbishop’s Representative for Safeguarding issues, Helen Sheppard is the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer. (Full details of the Commission Officers can be seen at (http://www.rcsouthwark.co.uk/)
In our parish the current Safeguarding Representatives are Monica Tett who can be contacted at any time on 020 8399 8050 and Kate Kelk She can be contacted through the Parish Office on 020 8399 9550
The Parish Policy for Our Lady Immaculate Church, Tolworth is intended to address six main issues:
- To raise awareness within the parish of the need to protect its most vulnerable members and how that protection can best be effected.
- To ensure the protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults of the parish whilst they are engaged in parish activities.
- To regulate the appointment and training of parish volunteers working or proposing to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults of the parish.
- To ensure that any allegations of abuse are addressed quickly and efficiently whilst offering maximum protection to the alleged victim and ensuring that the rights of the alleged abuser are protected.
- To ensure that parish volunteers are protected from false allegations.
- To ensure that where a known offender joins the parish community children, young people and vulnerable adults are protected and that the offender is protected from unjust treatment.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU ARE BEING ABUSED OR ARE WORRIED ABOUT SOMEONE?
Don’t ignore it!
Please contact the Parish Safeguarding Representatives or any of the agencies listed below.
We know that raising concerns about abuse is not easy and we will handle your call with care.
What happens then will depend on the seriousness of the situation?
- If you are the person being abused, we will offer you information and advice so that you can make an informed choice about any help you need or action you might want to take.
- If you are concerned about someone else, we will pass on the information to the relevant authorities through the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer.
- If you are contacting us about someone else and they are unable to make an informed choice, we will make sure they are properly cared for and protected.
- If you are being abused and feel unable to call us or one of the other agencies listed, tell someone you trust and ask them to do it for you.
The following are useful links:
Internet Security Training:
Safeguarding Forms for Group Leaders:
- Event Recording Form
- Risk Assessment Form
- Incident Report Form
- Parental Consent for Activity Form
- Compliments, Complaints & Comments Form
- In an emergency you should phone 999. You should use this service to contact police in situations when you need an immediate response – if a crime / incident is happening now or if anyone is in immediate danger.
CHILDLINE 0800 1111
NSPCC 0808 800 5000
ROYAL BOROUGH OF KINGSTON SOCIAL SERVICES:
Community Care Services (For concerns about adults aged 18 years or over)
Adult Safeguarding Coordinator:
- Telephone: 020 8547 4735
- Fax: 020 8547 6142
- Email: email@example.com
Children’s Safeguarding Service (for concerns about children aged 12 and under)
- Telephone: 020 8547 6587
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Young People’s Service Safeguarding Service (for concerns about young people aged 13 or over)
- Telephone: 020 8547 6920
- Email: Eaglerec1@rbk.kingston.gov.uk
Domestic Violence Helpline (a free 24 hour helpline run by women’s aid and refuge)
- Telephone: 0808 2000 247
Adults Emergency Duty Team (For urgent help outside office hours)
- Telephone: 020 8770 5000
- Minicom: 020 8770 5178
- Typetalk: 0151 709 9494
- Telephone: 020 8399 6676
AGE CONCERN KINGSTON UPON THAMES
- Telephone: 020 8942 8256